Tuesday, November 27, 2012

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE ON MY BENCH

I'm sooooo late on this!!!    My apologies!!  Back in June I'd posted a blog entry entitled "Unwinding" in which I relayed the story of my acquisition of a VERY lonely distressed bench I'd found at a yard sale sitting at the end of someone's driveway.    It had called out my name and I gladly adopted it and brought it home for a make-over.   I had been refinishing it over the summer when I suddenly became sick and was laid up for two months and could no longer work on it.   After months of sanding and then sanding some more, a bottle of wood glue, primer, more sanding, and then paint I was thrilled to see it come back to life.   I bought a bench cushion for it and it now sits up in the loft of my house and my cat has 'moved in.'!     When I happen to walk past it, my kitty smiles at me and silently thanks me for THE new spot.





"Thank you for saving me" it whispers when I walk by.   It was bound for the landfill and only I could see the beauty in it.   "WELCOME HOME" I reply back.   Your history will remain a mystery to me but it deserved a fresh start.   Some day I'll pass it down to one of my kids and hopefully they will add memories to the bench too.   What DOES a piece of furniture hang onto?   Does it keep a list of the people or animals that have become one with it?   Does it relish the fact that it endured a much-needed facelift or does it long for the original skin?    

Dear Bench - You're a part of my family now and I hope you're comfortable, warm and grateful for the new look.   You're here to stay and grow old with us and I want to thank you for creeping out to the curb that day so I could bring you home.   


No comments:

Post a Comment